Tuesday, January 24, 2023

2023 Debuts! Interview With Ananya Devarajan!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Ananya Devarajan, the author of Kismat Connection, which releases in June!

Would you please describe your book, Kismat Connection, in seven words?


Hypothesis: Science Predicts Everything

Conclusion: Except Love   


What was the inspiration for the book?


KISMAT CONNECTION was very much inspired by my own experiences as an Indian American teenager. A large aspect of this story grapples with the influence of culture on identity, and how this macroscopic coming-of-age arc presents in different ways in different members of the diaspora. I went through a similar journey at the time of writing KISMAT CONNECTION, which led to the novel developing two main purposes—to reflect on the person I used to be through the character of Madhuri, and to embrace the person I was becoming through the character of Arjun. 


On another note, if anyone’s wondering specifically about the inspiration for the magical love story in KISMAT CONNECTION, then I’ll have to admit that there is no explanation besides my overactive imagination and hopeless romanticism. Sorry, not sorry!


Random Question! What’s your favorite Bollywood movie?


Om Shanti Om is without a doubt my all-time favorite. The movie features a star-crossed lovers and reincarnation trope, jokes about the Bollywood industry and its colorful history, drama that’ll have you on the edge of your seat, and of course, the best soundtrack known to mankind. However, I’m going to cheat a little on this question because I cannot possibly pick just one film, so I’ll recommend 3 Idiots, Jab We Met, and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai too


What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?


Make sure that you are head-over-heels in love with your story. As an aspiring author, you’re going to face quite a few moments where your path is called into question, whether that be by a reader who couldn’t resonate with your words or a publisher who couldn’t put their money behind you. In moments like those, your love for your story will help you cut through the noise, so hold onto that feeling with all you’ve got. I’ve found that by remembering why I’m choosing to tell my story, I can persevere forward, and I hope that with this advice, you can do the same.


What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2023? And if you’ve already read some ‘23 books, would you like to mention them?


Oh, I absolutely adore this question. The 2023 debuts are so incredible, and I’ve had the honor of reading a few already. So far, I’ve really enjoyed THE LOVE MATCH by Priyanka Taslim, LIES WE SING TO THE SEA by Sarah Underwood, and IF I HAVE TO BE HAUNTED by Miranda Sun. As for the books I’m looking forward to reading in 2023, here are three (of the many, and in no particular order) that I cannot wait to dig into—THE FRAUD SQUAD by Kyla Zhao, THE NEXT NEW SYRIAN GIRL by Ream Shukairy, and THEIR VICIOUS GAMES by Joelle Wellington. 


Author Bio: Ananya Devarajan is an undergraduate at the University of California, Irvine, pursuing a major in Neurobiology and Behavior with a minor in English. Like the majority of her characters, she is a second-generation Indian American young adult.

Her love for storytelling began on Wattpad, where she grew her audience as a Featured Author, and she later went on to win first place in TeenPit 2019. Now, Ananya writes young adult romance novels featuring dynamic Indian teenagers, lighthearted drama, and swoon-worthy banter. In her free time, she can be found watching her favorite Bollywood movies or studying for yet another Organic Chemistry exam. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram under the handle @ananyad12. 

Her debut novel, KISMAT CONNECTION, is slated for publication in Summer 2023 by Inkyard Press and HarperCollins. She is represented by the wonderful Ann Leslie Tuttle at Dystel, Goderich, and Bourret LLC.

Here Are A Few Links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

Her Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )