Monday, January 23, 2023

2023 Debuts! Interview With Jackie Khalilieh!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Jackie Khalilieh, the author of Something More, which releases in June!

Would you please describe your book, Something More, in seven words?

  1. Firsts. 

  2. Cringey. 

  3. Heartwarming. 

  4. Funny. 

  5. Relatable. 

  6. Honest.

  7. Swoony. 

Have you always wanted to be a writer?

This answer may sound obnoxious but give me a chance to explain: I haven’t always wanted to be a writer; I’ve always been a writer. 

Even when I didn’t realize I was a capital W, Writer. I’ve always written. It is my most preferred form of communication and favourite way to express myself. I never labeled myself a writer until very recently. Writing was something I always did but despite that, I didn’t have many “results” to show for it (because you’re not supposed to share your journals with people!). 

Becoming an “author” is not something I allowed myself to really consider when I was younger. It felt like a pipe dream. Something meant for other people. I have this personality trait where I can sometimes start something without thinking it through and because of that, I don’t always see it through to the end. Because of that, for so long, the idea of writing a novel felt impossible. 

Sometimes I get frustrated that younger me didn’t try harder or believe in myself more, because then maybe I’d be more established by now but then I realize it wasn’t the right time. It wouldn’t have been the right books. I believe I was meant to come into this the way I came into it, when I came into it, so that the right stories would get told. 

Random Question! What’s your favorite time of year?

Fall. Because I love firsts. As Lara Jean says IN TO ALL THE BOYS I’VE LOVED BEFORE, “firsts are best because they are beginnings.” And fall, to me, always felt like a fresh start. The humidity of the summer would soon lift (not a fan of being hot), a new year of school meant a new chance to try on a new version of myself (which I now see as my autism and trying to find my place). It’s the crisp weather, nights in, and the chance that something new and exciting might happen. 

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

This is actually advice I need to listen to as well, but keep your eyes on your own lane. It’s so easy to get distracted and deflated watching other people succeed and live your dream, but all that does is take away from what you’ve done and what you’re trying to do. Instead, try to flip it around. Instead of being bummed about someone else getting an agent or massive book deal, I try instead to use it as motivation and I take that opportunity to genuinely congratulate them for their success. It’s not always easy but it feels better than sulking about your own lack of progress. But also, sulk. I have cried MANY tears throughout this process. I still cry. Just because I have a book deal does not mean I’m not still filled with self-doubt and insecurities and imposter syndrome. The best thing we can do for ourselves is just focus on ourselves. Keep writing. Keep reading. Revise and revise. Use beta readers and find a critique partner you trust. Keep trying. And take a break when it all becomes too hard. Just because someone is three steps ahead of you, it could all change in an instant. You could sign with an agent and get a massive book deal with all the trimmings not two weeks later. Also, because of that, treat everyone with respect. No one is “better” than you and you’re not “better” than anyone else. 

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2023? And if you’ve already read some ‘23 books, would you like to mention them?

Some 2023 debuts I’ve already read and loved: 

FAKE DATES AND MOONCAKES by Sher Lee. Her line-level writing is divine. Her romcom is adorable escapism. 

SORRY, BRO by Taleen Voskuni. Her story is so unique and fun and filled with a lot of unexpected depth! 

EVER SINCE by Alena Bruzas. OMG I read this last week and it reminds me a lot of one of my favourite YA books, BRAVE NEW GIRL by Lousia Luna. There are some TW to look out for (SA, alcoholism) but the writing is SO gorgeous and the story itself is so important and told in such a unique way. 

Currently reading: THE LOVE MATCH by Priyanka Taslim and loving it so far! I am a sucker for love-triangles. 

PRE-ORDERED/ON MY TBR:

ALWAYS THE ALMOST by Edward Underhill 

YOU, WITH A VIEW by Jessica Joyce 

OUT OF CHARACTER by Jenna Miller 

BURLINGTON by Heather Dixon. 

LOVE & RESISTANCE by Kara H.L. Chen

GOOD DIFFERENT by Meg Eden Kuyatt 

THAT WASN’T IN THE SCRIPT by Sarah Ainslee 

THE ART OF SCANDAL by Regina Black

…and so many more but I have to stop!!! 


Author Bio: I have a Bachelor of Journalism and a Bachelor of Education. I no longer use either degree (unless you count writing about failed journalists and overworked teachers). 

I currently write YA Contemporary and Women’s Fiction which tends to be character driven (whether I mean to or not), honest, funny (if I say so myself) and full of hope. 

My main female characters are always Palestinian-Canadians, like myself. 

I’m a mom of two girls who inherited all my “best” traits (thanks universe). I’m based just outside Toronto, Canada. 

I’m represented by Valerie Noble at Donaghy Literary Group. 

Here Are A Few Links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

Her Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )