Monday, March 31, 2014

Review: Abby Spencer Goes to Bollywood

Review: Abby Spencer Goes to Bollywood by Varsha Bajaj

What thirteen-year-old Abby wants most is to meet her father. She just never imagined he would be a huge film star--in Bollywood! Now she's traveling to Mumbai to get to know her famous father. Abby is overwhelmed by the culture clash, the pressures of being the daughter of India's most famous celebrity, and the burden of keeping her identity a secret. But as she learns to navigate her new surroundings, she just might discover where she really belongs.
-summary and cover via Goodreads

Plot: Very good! I don't think I have ever read a book that mostly takes place in India before now, but I really enjoyed it! It was interesting to learn all the things that Abby does while she is there! The whole  idea of the book is fun! When she finds out her Dad is a Bollywood star and then goes to visit him in India was fun! It was good and I love it!

Characters: Abby is a very relatable protagonist. From the first few pages I knew that I would like this book and her character, too! The way she thinks and reacts to things are ways that I understand very well! Her Mom and Grandparents were wonderful! And her Dad was fun! I like her Grandmother Tara a lot! And Shiiva was a very good character in the book! And then Shaan, her crush was darling! All of the characters were wonderful!

The cover: I like it! It's not my favorite cover ever, but it does get your attention and the girl on the cover fits how I picture Abby in the book!

Overall: This book got my attention when I heard it described as "Girl finds out Father is basically Bollywood's Brad Pitt!" I thought that might be a fun and interesting read and it was! If you want to read a book that takes place in another country and is fun, interesting, and very enjoyable, then I recommend this book to you! :)

Would I recommend it?:
Yes! If you're looking to read a book that takes place in another country and want to read about a likable main character, too, then read this book! :)

I checked this book out from my library

Authors Website: http://www.varshabajaj.com/
Age Range: Middle Grade
Series?: No.
Publisher: Albert Whitman & Company


2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to visit Bollywood! I might have to check my local library for this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, I hope you love it! It's a fun book! :) (And it would be fun to visit Bollywood!) :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )