Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Review: Turn It Up

Review: Turn It Up by Jen Calonita

The Nightingales are in a serious funk. Bradley Academy's all-girl a cappella group used to be the pride and joy of the sunshine state, but the Nightingales have fallen out of harmony. Best friends and co-captains Lidia Sato and Sydney Marino aren't speaking. A boy has come between them -- none other than Griffin Mancini, the obnoxious lead singer of Bradley's smug all-boy a capella group, the Kingfishers. The Nightingales have no chance at winning the big state final if their captains are at each other's throats. Their only hope is new girl Julianna Ramirez. She's super shy, but she has some serious pipes. The three girls -- and the whole group -- will have to come together if they want to beat the Kingfishers and their rivals from Julianna's old school. Told from alternating points of view, this novel explores the ups and downs of friendship, romance, competition, and finding the perfect song!
-summary and cover via Goodreads


Plot: I have to admit, I didn't know a lot about a capella before, but I'm interested in learning more about it after reading this book! Reading about The Nightingales and the competition was really fun!

Characters: The book switches POV between three characters, Lidia, Julianna, and Sydney. My favorite to read about was Lidia, but I really enjoyed reading about Julianna and Sydney, too!

The cover: It's very fun! I love how bright and happy it looks!

Overall: This was a really fun YA book! When I was reading it, I could totally picture it as a movie in my head! I loved all the music references in it! If you're looking for a fun YA book, I definitely recommend this book! :)

This book releases today! :)

I received an ARC of this book from the author.

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )