Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Interview With Gloria Chao!



Today I'm happy to present an interview with Gloria Chao! Ms. Chao is the author of the YA book American Panda, which releases February 6th! :)

Here's the interview!

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.



1. Would you please describe your debut book, American Panda, in seven words?

Taiwanese-American teen defies parental expectations (with guilt).


2. Did you always want to be a YA writer?

I found my way to writing late, having focused on math and science for most of my life, but the beauty of writing is that you can draw from all of your life experiences! I discovered my love of reading YA when I was in dental school, and I started writing shortly after that. It’s now been five years and I wake up every morning feeling so privileged to be able to write.


3. Random question! What's your favorite board game?

I love this question so much! My husband and I are obsessed with board games, and it’s so hard to choose just one! But I would have to go with Takenoko because it’s complex, features a panda (!!!), and has incredibly cute art! Ticket To Ride, Tokaido, Pandemic, and Cranium are my runners-up.


I hadn't heard of Takenoko before now, but it sounds fun! And I've been wanting to try Ticket to Ride! :)



4. What's one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

Write the story only you can tell. Write for yourself first, then let everyone else in during revisions. 


Awesome advice! :)



5. What are some books you're looking forward to reading in 2018? And if you've already read some '18 books, which books have you loved?

There are so many wonderful books coming out in 2018. I am particularly looking forward to The Astonishing Color of After (Emily X.R. Pan), Fat Girl on a Plane (Kelly deVos), People Like Us (Dana Mele), Blood Water Paint (Joy McCullough), A Girl Like That (Tanaz Bhathena), the third Stalking Jack the Ripper (Kerri Maniscalco), From Twinkle, with Love (Sandhya Menon), Legendary (Stephanie Garber), The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik (David Arnold), What If It’s Us (Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera), and Picture Us in the Light (Kelly Loy Gilbert). 

I’m lucky to have already read and loved Rachel Lynn Solomon’s lyrical You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone and Samira Ahmed’s timely Love, Hate, and Other Filters! 


You've mentioned a lot of good sounding books! :)


Thank you so much to Ms. Chao for participating in this event! :)

American Panda Short Blurb:
An incisive, laugh-out-loud contemporary debut about a Taiwanese-American teen whose parents want her to be a doctor and marry a Taiwanese Ivy Leaguer despite her squeamishness with germs and crush on a Japanese classmate.

Pre-order links:



Author bio: Gloria Chao is an MIT grad turned dentist turned writer. She currently lives in Chicago with her ever-supportive husband, for whom she became a nine-hole golfer (sometimes seven). She is always up for cooperative board games, Dance Dance Revolution, or soup dumplings. She was also once a black belt in kung-fu and a competitive dancer, but that side of her was drilled and suctioned out. American Panda is her debut novel, and Misaligned is forthcoming fall 2019.Visit her tea-and-book-filled world at gloriachao.wordpress.com. Twitter: @gloriacchao. Instagram: @gloriacchao


Here are a few links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )