Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Interview With Gail Nall!



Today on the blog I'm happy to present an interview with Gail Nall! Ms. Nall is the author of multiple Middle Grade books, including Out of Tune.

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

1. Would you please tell us a little about Out of Tune?
Sure! Out of Tune is basically music, Yellowstone, and finding home. Maya, the main character, is an aspiring country singer from Nashville. She has big plans to audition for a reality singing show when her family sells everything they own to move into a trailer and travel the country. Maya's determined not to let that stop her dreams, so she hatches a plan -- which might involve a 100-mile bike ride through Yellowstone -- to get back home in time for auditions.

Love this book! :)

2. Maya, the main character of Out of Tune, loves country music and wants to be a country singer. Maya lists Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, and Miranda Lambert as her favorites. Who is your favorite country singer?
Ooh, good question! I love those ladies. Miranda Lambert can sing a break-up song better than just about anyone. I also have a soft spot for Dolly Parton (seriously, is there anything better than "Jolene"?). I also love guys like Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and my all-time favorite, Jason Isbell. Mostly, I just love a country song that tells a story and maybe makes me cry. 

I don't think I've ever heard Jason Isbell's music before! I need to listen to it! :)

3. Random question! Do you listen to music while you write?
I don't! Not usually, anyway, because it distracts me. But a lot of times, I'll make a playlist for the book I'm working on and listen to it when I'm driving or out walking. If I listen to it enough, the music gets me in the mood of the story and fades into the background so I can work through plot problems or brainstorm ideas for characters.

4. If you're able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?
Right now, I'm working on a new middle grade novel that I can't say much about yet. I've got the story plotted, and I've just started writing the first draft. It's very different from my other books, and I'm having a lot of fun writing it! I also have the first draft of a YA novel that I need to go back and start revising.

5. What are some of your favorite MG books you've read? And what are some that you're looking forward to reading?
Lately, I've really enjoyed Eric Bell's ALAN COLE IS NOT A COWARD and Amy Dixon's upcoming ANNIE B., MADE FOR TV. I'm most looking forward to reading Kristine Asselin and Jen Malone's THE ART OF THE SWAP and Sayantani Dasgupta's THE SERPENT'S SECRET -- both are out, and I just haven't had the time to read them yet.

I really liked The Art of the Swap! :)

Thank you to Ms. Nall for participating in this event! :)


Author bio: Gail Nall lives in Louisville, Kentucky with her family and more cats than necessary. She once drove a Zamboni, has camped in the snow in June, and almost got trampled in Paris. Gail is the author of the Aladdin/S&S middle grade novels OUT OF TUNE, BREAKING THE ICE, the YOU'RE INVITED series (co-authored with Jen Malone), and BEST.NIGHT.EVER. (co-authored). She is also the author of the young adult novel, EXIT STAGE LEFT (Epic Reads Impulse/HarperCollins). You can find her online at gailnall.com and on Twitter as @gailecn.

Here are a few links:


1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )