Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Yay For Middle Grade Books! Interview With Elizabeth C. Bunce!

 

Hi, everyone! Today I'm pleased to present an interview with Elizabeth C. Bunce, who is the author of the Myrtle Hardcastle mystery series, which began with Premeditated Myrtle. The third book in the series, Cold-Blooded Myrtle, releases in October. She is also the author of YA novels, including the Thief Errant series.

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

Would you please tell us a little about the Myrtle Hardcastle Mysteries?

Myrtle Hardcastle is a twelve year old Victorian Young Lady of Quality with a highly unconventional interest in criminology and a knack for solving murders. With the assistance of her unflappable governess, Miss Judson, and a highly opinionated cat, Peony, Myrtle uncovers the secrets and criminals lurking beneath the deceptively cozy world of her Victorian village (with an occasional side trip: MHM #2, How to Get Away with Myrtle, finds Myrtle on a railway holiday to the seaside!).

Book #3 in the series, Cold-Blooded Myrtle, releases in October! Would you like to tell us a little about what awaits Myrtle in the new book?

Myrtle’s third adventure is so much fun! Her Exceptionally Victorian holiday season is interrupted by a string of cryptic murders in the village. In her most personal case yet, Myrtle, Miss Judson, and Peony must solve a cold case from Myrtle’s mother’s past in order to unmask a killer stalking the snowy streets of Swinburne. 

This sounds so good! :)

Random Question! If you could travel to any period in time for one day, where and when would you go? 

Oooh, one day? I’m going to say 16th century Italy—probably Florence. I don’t speak Italian, but I think I could manage for a single day! (That now sounds like a challenge… or inspiration for a short story!) The Italian Renaissance has always been one of my favorite historical eras, and influenced my Thief Errant novels, StarCrossed and Liar’s Moon. I’ve also long been a devotee of the clothing of the era, and much of my historical costuming is inspired by Italian Renaissance artwork. (I’m not answering Victorian England because it feels like I’ve been living there for years now!)

If you're able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?

I am actually on vacation right now! As of writing this, I’m just about to turn in Myrtle Hardcastle Mysteries #4, In Myrtle Peril, and preparing to fully enjoy that heavenly period of relaxation where it’s too early to hear back from my editor with revisions. That means my days are full of sewing. Right now I’m working on Victorian-era doll costuming, including a piece from the cover of Cold-Blooded Myrtle, and a little surprise for Myrtle’s schoolroom. You can follow all my Making progress on Instagram: @elizabethcbunce (Also, I’m overdue for a dental checkup, so I suppose I’ll have to do that, too. And catch up on the laundry.)

I love the titles of the Myrtle books! :)

What are some of your favorite MG books you've read? And what are some that you're looking forward to reading?

As you can probably tell from my work, I am a big fan of classic-feeling middle grades, exemplified by books like The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I think my all-time favorite modern MG must be Eva Ibbotson’s The Star of Kazan, a wonderful historical adventure about missing heirs and lost jewels, full of gorgeous descriptions and richly-drawn characters. As for upcoming reads? I will take anything with ghosts, and am open for recommendations! 

I haven't read The Star of Kazan, I need to look it up! :)

Thank you to Elizabeth C. Bunce for participating in this event! :)

Author BioElizabeth C. Bunce grew up on a steady diet of Sherlock Holmes, Trixie Belden, and Quincy, M.E., and always played the lead prosecutor in mock trial. She has never had a governess, and no one has ever accused her of being irrepressible, but a teacher did once call her “argumentative”—which was entirely untrue, and she can prove it. She lives in Kansas City with her husband and their cats. You can find her online at elizabethcbunce.com.

Here Are a Few Links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

Her Instagram

Her Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to Elizabeth! I have loved watching her career grow since I interviewed her on my blog when she was a debut author. I love her new Premeditated Myrtle series. Can't wait till book #3 releases.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )