Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Review: In the Company of Witches (Evenfall Witches B&B #1)

Review: In the Company of Witches (Evenfall Witches B&B #1) by Auralee Wallace

When a guest dies in the B&B she helps her aunts run, a young witch must rely on some good old-fashioned investigating to clear her aunt's name in this magical and charming new cozy mystery.

For four hundred years, the Warren witches have used their magic to quietly help the citizens of the sleepy New England town of Evenfall thrive. There's never been a problem they couldn't handle. But then Constance Graves--a local known for being argumentative and demanding--dies while staying at the bed and breakfast Brynn Warren maintains with her aunts. At first, it seems like an accident...but it soon becomes clear that there's something more sinister at work, and Aunt Nora is shaping up to be the prime suspect.

There's nothing Brynn wants more than to prove Nora's innocence, and it hurts her to know that even two years ago that might have been easier. Brynn, after all, is a witch of the dead--a witch who can commune with ghosts. Ghosts never remember much about their deaths, but Constance might remember something about her life that would help crack the case. But Brynn hasn't used her powers since her husband died, and isn't even sure she still can. Brynn will just have to hope that her aunts' magic and her own investigative skills will lead her to answers--and maybe back to the gift she once thought herself ready to give up forever.

-summary and cover via Goodreads

Plot: I thought the mystery was really well done in this book! (AND I didn't figure out who the culprit was until the end, which is rare for me now, so that's a good surprise!) I also liked the side plots going on as well. The fantasy element was a unique addition to the story, which I really enjoyed.

Characters: Brynn was a great character, and reading abut her rejoining the world and dealing with her grief (I cried at the end!), and her finding her gift again was a good part of the book. Her aunts and her uncle were great! And I loved the quirky cast of characters this book had!

The Cover: I like it! Perfectly spooky, and I love the house in the background!

Overall: This was a fantastic start to a new cozy mystery series! I loved reading it, and I will definitely make sure to check out the next book in the series, too! Overall, I definitely recommend it!

I received an e-ARC from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )