Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Interview With Elly Swartz!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Elly Swartz, who is the author of multiple Middle Grade books, including her newest, Dear Student, which released this month!

Would you please describe your book, Dear Student, in seven words?
Oh, I love this – But just so we’re clear, those are not my 7 words : )
 
Here goes: Autumn finds Fearless Fred and her voice.


What was the inspiration for the book?
Much of the inspiration behind DEAR STUDENT comes for the kids I’ve had the privilege of meeting in schools, bookstores, and coffee shops. Truly, Autumn is like so many of these kids. The kids who struggle to find, own, and accept their voice. The kids who think strong is meant for the popular, the loud, the unafraid. I want these kids to know they are strong and brave. I want them to know that sometimes we all feel like Autumn. We all struggle to find the right words to say, the right clothes to wear, the right way to be. 

Another inspiration for DEAR STUDENT comes from the amazing kid activists today. The kids who know who they are and what they want. I want all kids to know their voice can make a difference. They can make a difference. Whether they are quiet or loud. Extroverts or introverts. Eat lunch surrounded by friends or tucked into a table in the library. This is where empathy and activism meet, and where Autumn’s heart and voice came together. 
 
Random Question! What’s your favorite dessert?
Ha! I have many, but right now I’m stuck on whoopie pies! Autumn and Cooper make Fearless Fred’s Whoopie Pies in DEAR STUDENT. So, I’ve been baking and I have to say, they’re pretty amazing! And, happy news – I shared the recipe in the back of the book. Along with allergy friendly ones. So for all the readers like me with allergies, no worries, I’ve got you covered.
Here' s a pic of Fearless Fred’s Whoopie Pies – don’t they look delicious!


What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?
Write the story that imprints on your heart and matters to you.

What are some Middle Grade books you’ve recently read and enjoyed?
Oh, I just read an early version of TREX, by Christyne Morrell. It’s a middle grade mystery about a boy with an experimental brain implant and a reclusive girl training to be a spy, as they're pitted against school bullies, their parents, and an evil, brain-hacking corporation. I loved it. Be sure to be on the look-out for it on 8/30/2022. 

Two other books I am loving are HAS ANYONE HERE SEEN FRENCHIE? by Leslie Connor and SNOW STRUCK by Nick Courage. And fun fact. We all pubbed the same day. So I’m thinking that makes us pub triplets. What do you think?!

Thank you Elly for letting me interview you! And I agree, those whoopie pies look delicious! :)


Author Bio: Elly Swartz grew up in Yardley, Pennsylvania. She studied psychology at Boston University and received her law degree from Georgetown University Law Center. Elly lives in Massachusetts and is happily married with two grown sons, a beagle named Lucy, and a pup named Baxter Bean. Finding Perfect, called “a clear, moving portrayal of obsessive-compulsive disorder” by Publishers Weekly, was her debut novel. She is also the author of  Smart Cookie and Give and Take, novels for middle grade readers. 
Read more about Elly on her website:  www.ellyswartz.com

Here Are A Few Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )