Monday, April 28, 2014

Review: A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Llyod

Review: A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Llyod

Introducing an extraordinary new voice---a magical debut that will make your skin tingle, your eyes glisten . . .and your heart sing.

Midnight Gulch used to be a magical place, a town where people could sing up thunderstorms and dance up sunflowers. But that was long ago, before a curse drove the magic away. Twelve-year-old Felicity knows all about things like that; her nomadic mother is cursed with a wandering heart.

But when she arrives in Midnight Gulch, Felicity thinks her luck's about to change. A "word collector," Felicity sees words everywhere---shining above strangers, tucked into church eves, and tangled up her dog's floppy ears---but Midnight Gulch is the first place she's ever seen the word "home." And then there's Jonah, a mysterious, spiky-haired do-gooder who shimmers with words Felicity's never seen before, words that make Felicity's heart beat a little faster.

Felicity wants to stay in Midnight Gulch more than anything, but first, she'll need to figure out how to bring back the magic, breaking the spell that's been cast over the town . . . and her mother's broken heart.

-summary and cover via Goodreads

Plot: I'm not going to talk about the plot, I think this is one you need to go into without much idea about it, it'll make it even better if you do! :)

Characters: The characters in this book were wonderful! I love them! Felicity is my favorite, but I love Jonah, too! All of the characters felt real, like people you might really meet and that you would love to know, too! :)

The cover: Love! Very bright! :)

Overall: This book is wonderful, magical and in the words of Felicity, spinddily, too! When I was reading this book my heart felt good, you know those books when you're reading them and you just feel good while you are? That's how this book made me feel! The characters were wonderful, the plot was magical, and the book was just spindiddly! I wanted to just hug this book and while I was reading it, there were quotes I read that I want to go back and write down, and I almost never do that with books! I just kept smiling while reading it! I'm not able to praise this book enough, if you're looking for a amazing book, then this one is the right one! I have a feeling this book is going to be one that is loved by many, and it deserves that! This book also deserves all the awards that I hope are on there way to it! I'm really looking forward to this authors next book, whatever it might be! :)

And one more thing! I love that she mentions God in this book, but not in a preachy way, just in a "God is there" way! That's a thing I have been wanting more in books and it was wonderful that the author had that in the book! :)

Would I Recommend it?:
Um, did you read my review of it? I think you know what my answer is to that, then. ;)

Age Range: Middle Grade
Series?: No, I don't think it is. But if a sequel was written? I would read it! :)
Publisher: Scholastic Press

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )