Thursday, January 23, 2020

Interview With Jennifer Gruenke, author of Of Silver and Shadow!



Today I'm pleased to present an interview with Jennifer Gruenke, author of Of Silver and Shadow, which releases May 26th!

Here's the interview!

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

Would you please describe your book, Of Silver and Shadow, in seven words?
Characters banter while trying not to die.

It sounds good! :)

What was the inspiration for this book? 
This was the second book I finished. It followed a not very good sci-fi that was never going to go anywhere. It took me a while to come to my senses, but once I did, I thought to myself, "what if I took the premise of my first book and put it into a fantasy world instead?" Thus, Of Silver and Shadow was born. It's changed a ton since then, and you'd no longer be able to see the similarities between the two, but that first book was the genesis of this story.

Random Question! Do you listen to music while you write?
Short answer: sometimes. Long answer: I often like to write in silence, but in public places I have to plug in headphones and turn up the volume. I have multitasking issues and get distracted easily, so I can't focus on the words if there are conversations going on around me. For this reason, I can also only listen to instrumental music while writing.

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?
Find your people! I would not be making it through this industry with my sanity intact if not for my writing group (shoutout to the Guillotine Queens). They'll be your trusted eyes when you're looking for critique, your cheerleaders when you need a pep talk, a sounding board when you're stuck on a scene, a guide to help you through the business, and much, much more.

Good advice! :)

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2020? And if you’ve already read some ‘20 books, would you like to mention them?
I've already read Goddess in the Machine by Lora Beth Johnson and In the Shadow of the Sun by EM Castellan, both of which I enjoyed immensely and would recommend to anyone. I'm looking forward to so many 2020 books, but just to name a few: These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong, Glitch Kingdom by Sheena Boekweg, All Your Twisted Secrets by Diana Urban, and The Crow Rider by Kalyn Josephson.

2020 is a really good year for books! :)

Thank you to Jennifer Gruenke for participating in this event, and for letting me interview her! :)


Author bio: Jennifer Gruenke is a graduate of UC Santa Barbara, where she studied communication and writing. She grew up among the redwoods of Northern California, and now lives in Charlotte with her books and the houseplants she hasn't killed yet. If she's not writing or reading, you're most likely to find her in a cafe, music venue, or the aisles of Trader Joe's.

Here are a few links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )