Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Yay For Middle Grade Books! Guest Post From Wendy McLeod MacKnight!



Hi, everyone! Today in Yay for Middle Grade Books!, I'm happy to present a guest post from Wendy McLeod MacKnight, the author of multiple MG books, including her most recent, The Copycat.

The Joy of Reading Fantasy and Magical Realism in the Time of Corona Virus

I’ve been reading tons of books during this stay-at-home phase of the Corona virus, but truthfully, I’m struggling to read non-fiction or contemporary fiction right now. Maybe I want a break from the world’s problems?

So what have I been reading? Fantasy and Magical Realism.

I need dragons and wizards and faeries. I need zombies and talking animals and hope.

Mostly what I need are heroes.

I need people who step up and do that which is impossible. I need latent powers to suddenly manifest themselves. I need surprises.

I need hope. 

Cue my recent pile:


Give me heroines raised by pigeons.

Or fantasy worlds come to life:


Show me heroes dealing with strange phenomena:



I’ll even recommend my own recent book, The Copycat, in which the heroine Ali can turn into anything.


I dream of better, happier, days, and fantasy and magical realism books do that for me! 

Soon enough the lockdown will end and I will be back reading everything. 

Meanwhile, it’s time to dust off my Harry Potter books…

I agree, Fantasy and Magical Realism books are definitely a great escape, and help you dream of better days! I also added a couple books to my TBR list, thanks to this post... :)

Thank you to Wendy McLeod MacKnight for participating in this event! :)


Author Bio: Wendy McLeod MacKnight grew up in a small town with a library card as her most prized possession. She worked for the Government of New Brunswick for twenty-five years until the siren call of writing became impossible to ignore. She is the author of three middle grade novels: It’s a Mystery, Pig Face! (Sky Pony Press), The Frame-Up (a fantasy that asks “What if every original piece of art is actually alive?”) and The Copycat (both from Greenwillow Books). In her spare time, she gardens, hangs with her family and friends, and feeds raccoons.

Here Are A Few Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )