Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Yay For Middle Grade Books! Interview With Debbi Michiko Florence!



Hi, everyone! Today I'm pleased to present an interview with Debbi Michiko Florence, the author of multiple Chapter Book series, and the MG Novels Keep It Together, Keiko Carter, and the upcoming Just Be Cool, Jenna Sakai.

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

Would you please tell us a little about Keep It Together, Keiko Carter?
Sure! Keep It Together, Keiko Carter is a story about changing friendships and first crushes. Keiko Carter is excited to start 7th grade with her two best friends Jenna and Audrey at her side. But when Audrey decides that the three of them should get their first boyfriends in time for the Fall Ball, Jenna and Audrey have a falling out and stop talking to each other. Keiko does everything she can to try to get her friends to make up while also dealing with her own first crush and family strife. Oh, and there are dogs and chocolate in the story, too!

What was the inspiration for the book?
I have always gravitated toward books about friendship and romance. When I was growing up, and when my daughter was growing up, we didn’t find a lot of books with characters that looked like us and had shared experiences. I’m third generation Japanese American and was raised in Los Angeles and my daughter is hafu – half Japanese American and half Caucasian. I wanted to write the kind of book I would have loved to have read as a tween, and one that my daughter would have related to, as well. 

Random Question! What’s your favorite food?
I have to pick just one? I’ll go with chocolate!

A very good choice, in my opinion! :)

If you're able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?
I am currently working on a sequel to Keep It Together, Keiko Carter! Just Be Cool, Jenna Sakai follows Keiko’s best friend Jenna who decides heartbreak is for suckers as she attempts to get over her first crush and her parents’ divorce. I’m so happy to get to stay in Keiko’s world for another book as I’ve grown to really love these characters. Look for this book in spring 2021!

What are some of your favorite MG books you've read? And what are some that you're looking forward to reading?
This is a tough question because I read a lot of great books and it’s hard to choose just a few. I’ll try to stick to recent reads: A Wish in the Dark by Christina Soontornvat, The Only Black Girls in Town by Brandy Colbert, and The Prettiest by Brigit Young. One middle grade novel I read as a galley that I’m super excited about is Eva Evergreen: Semi-Magical Witch by Julie Abe. A novel I’m getting ready to read as a galley that will be out next year is Sugar and Spite by Gail D. Villanueva.

Ooh, I haven't heard of Sugar and Spite before! *goes to add to Goodreads TBR* :)

Thank you to Debbi Michiko Florence for participating in this event! :)



Here Are A Few Links:


2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )