Thursday, July 16, 2020

Yay For Middle Grade Books! Interview With Lorien Lawrence!



Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Lorien Lawrence, the author of the upcoming MG book, The Stitchers, which releases in August.

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

Would you please tell us a little about The Stitchers (Fright Watch #1)?
THE STITCHERS is the first book in a spooky series for kids 10-14, and it is a cross between Goosebumps and Stranger Things. It follows two friends, Quinn and Mike, who start to suspect that something is off about their neighbors, whom they've nicknamed The Oldies because they never seem to age. Throughout the novel, Quinn and Mike follow clues until they uncover the truth about their neighbors, and the truth turns out to be way more terrifying than they ever expected! 

What are some of your favorite spooky MG books?
A recent read that I loved was Lindsay Currie's forthcoming SCRITCH SCRATCH, which I think is out in September. So creepy and fun! I also loved Josh Roberts' THE WITCHES OF WILLOW COVE.
Some classic re-reads that I love are Mary Downing Hahn's WAIT TILL HELEN COMES and RL Stine's THE SECRET BEDROOM.
And a read that I'm looking forward to is Adrianna Cuevas' THE TOTAL ECLIPSE OF NESTOR LOPEZ, which is out in July.

Random Question! What’s your favorite Disney Movie?
Great question! I LOVE Mr. Boogedy -  I watched it until the tape broke when I was a kid. (You can check it out on Disney+). And in terms of cartoons, I really love Toy Story, Beauty and the Beast (who DOESN'T want that library?!?) and The Princess and the Frog. 

I haven't watched Mr. Boogedy (yet), but I love the other three you mentioned! The Princess and the Frog is one of my favorites! :)

If you're able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?
I actually just received my edit letter for FRIGHT WATCH #2, so I'll be working on revising that throughout the summer. It features the same protagonists, but totally different spooky adventure!

What are some of your favorite MG books you've read? And what are some that you're looking forward to reading? 
2020 is a terrible year for the world, but it's actually an amazing year for books. SO many amazing titles have come out and are coming out in the upcoming months. Recent contemporary MG books that I love are: Janae Marks' FROM THE DESK OF ZOE WASHINGTON, Shannon Doleski's MARY UNDERWATER, Kit Rosewater's THE DERBY DAREDEVILS, AJ Sass' ANA ON THE EDGE, Tanya Guerrero's HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE SEA, and Briana McDonald's PEPPER'S RULES FOR SECRET SLEUTHING. I'm probably forgetting a ton, but seriously, there's some GREAT new reads out there. 

There's a lot of great MG books releasing this year! :)

Thank you to Lorien Lawrence for participating in this event! :)


Author Bio: By day, Lorien Lawrence is a middle school English teacher in Connecticut.

By night, she writes paranormal mysteries that are set in a New England town not unlike her own. The series is called FRIGHT WATCH, and will debut from Abrams Amulet on August 18, 2020.

The first book is called THE STITCHERS, and it follows two middle schoolers as they try to uncover why their neighbors, the Oldies, don't age.

When she's not reading, writing, or teaching, you can find Lorien hunting for ghosts with her family. 

Here Are A Few Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )