Saturday, January 14, 2017

Interview With Rebecca Ross!


Today I'm happy to present an interview with Rebecca Ross! Ms. Ross is the author of the YA book Daughter of Passion and Stone, which releases this Fall! :)

Here's the interview!

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

Would you please describe your book, Daughter of Passion and Stone, in seven words?

Devotion. Queens. Passion. Friendship. Constellations. Blood. Legacy.

The premise of this book sounds so unique! Are you able to tell us anything about the inspiration behind it?

Thank you! My inspiration for the story sparked one cold winter night when I envisioned Brienna (my heroine) sitting at a table with Cartier (her handsome instructor) and Brienna said to me, "The summer solstice is in eight days and I have yet to master my passion." And I was like, "Who are you and what are you talking about!?" 

I began to explore this notion of passion, taking a pen and scrawling on paper what I believed it to be. The ideas that emerged eventually settled into five things: art, music, dramatics, wit and knowledge. I thought about how artists, musicians, actors and actresses, orators and scholars dedicate years of their life as well as endless energy and devotion to their crafts, and how exquisite it is to see one master such passion. From there, I began to craft a fantasy world that was inspired from the Renaissance. And so Brienna's story emerged as I began to weave together her passion and the memories she begins to inherit, which have the power to dethrone a cruel king. 

This sounds so interesting!

Random question! Besides Fantasy, what's your favorite genre?

I also love historical fiction! 

Yay for Historical fiction!

What's one piece of advice you would give to aspiring authors?

Read voraciously. Write fearlessly. Don't measure yourself or your skill against others; writing is a craft that takes time, devotion and passion (<--had to use that word here!). Write short stories, poems, essays and submit them to competitions. Don't let rejection stop you. Make friends with other writers and support one another. 

Definitely good advice to follow!

What are some MG and YA books you're looking forward to in 2017? And if you've already read some '17 books, which books have you loved?

There are so many wonderful books coming out in 2017! Here are some that I am looking forward to:

IF BIRDS FLY BACK by Carlie Sorosiak
AMERICAN STREET by Ibi Zoboi
DONE DIRT CHEAP by Sarah Nicole Lemon
BETWEEN TWO SKIES by Joanne O'Sullivan
THE GALLERY OF UNFINISHED GIRLS by Lauren Karcz
MIRAGE by Somaiya Daud
WICKED LIKE A WILDFIRE by Lana Popovic
FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie Dao

And here are some that I have read and LOVE:

CARAVAL by Stephanie Garber
DAUGHTER OF THE PIRATE KING by Tricia Levenseller
FORGET ME NOT by Ellie Terry
UNDER LOCKER AND KEY by Allison Hymas
WINTERSONG by S. Jae-Jones
WAIT FOR ME by Caroline Leech
FROSTBLOOD by Elly Blake

All of these books look amazing!

Thank you so much to Ms. Ross for participating in this event! :)



Author bio: Rebecca Ross writes young adult fantasy books about girls who wield passion, swords and magic. She grew up in Georgia, where she continues to reside with her husband, lively dog and endless piles of books. She received her bachelor's degree in English from UGA. In the past she has worked at a Colorado dude ranch, as a school librarian, and as a live-time captionist for a college. 

Here are a few links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )