Sunday, January 22, 2023

2023 Debuts! Interview With Kara H.L. Chen!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Kara H.L. Chen, the author of Love & Resistance, which releases in July!

Would you please describe your book, Love & Resistance, in seven words?

Secret society of students overthrows school hierarchy.

Have you always wanted to be a writer?

Yes! When I was little, I would make little books out of construction paper. I can't remember what they were about, exactly, but I am positive they featured some pretty stellar crayon drawings. 

Random Question! What’s your favorite holiday?

I have recently discovered a renewed appreciation for Halloween and the creative costumes that people create for their kids. Some are ingenious! 

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

Writers have many different processes for drafting; some like to plot in advance and others discover the story as they go along. Others might do something in between. I am definitely the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type, so I have found it very helpful to finish the first draft of a WIP before polishing each individual sentence. I often do not know what the book is about or who the characters are until I get to the end of my initial pass. During revisions, so many things get moved and deleted that a lot of the sentences that are worked on so lovingly sometimes (oftentimes!) end up getting cut.

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2023? And if you’ve already read some ‘23 books, would you like to mention them?

One of the truly wonderful things about being a debut author is being able to meet other kind and supportive writers. There are so many AMAZING books coming out in 2023! I would recommend both of these websites to preview some of the books coming ahead:



I am especially excited to read IT'S BOBA TIME FOR PEARL LI by Nicole Chen, LAND OF BROKEN PROMISES by Jane Kuo, and FAKE DATES & MOONCAKES by Sher Lee! 

Author Bio: Kara H.L. Chen grew up near Cleveland, Ohio, where she once had to shovel snow off her car with a plastic trashcan. She now lives on the West Coast with her husband and daughters, and is learning how to use an Instapot. She has undergraduate degrees in English and economics, a J.D., and an MFA in fiction. She has used her economics degree exactly once, when she tried to make a joke about marginal costs and marginal returns. It did not go well.

Here Are A Few Links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

Her Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )