Wednesday, January 18, 2023

2023 Debuts! Interview With Tamika Burgess!



Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Tamika Burgess, the author of Sincerely Sicily, which is out now!

Would you please describe your book, Sincerely Sicily, in seven words? 

Engaging, intense, informative, funny, relatable, empowering, captivating  


Have you always wanted to write MG novels?

I started out wanting to write a picture book. But as I was writing, I realized I had so much I wanted to say, and that would not work for the 500-word requirement that picture books currently have. Because I wanted to reach a young audience, I settled on middle-grade because I feel that is when we start learning about ourselves and discovering the world around us.

 

Sincerely Sicily meets the middle-grade audience exactly where they are in life and provides a sense of relatability and comfort for young readers.

 

Random Question! What’s your favorite color? 

Pink


What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors? 

I advise writers to write based on their experiences and pay attention to their surroundings. That quirky thing that a sibling or friend constantly does can be used in your writing. That one-liner or corny joke your dad always tells, incorporate that. Using real-life examples in your writing makes the story realistic and relatable. 

Also, stick with the process. It's long, but your dedication will pay off. 

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2023? And if you’ve already read some ‘23 books, would you like to mention them?

I look forward to reading all my fellow middle-grade debut author's books. Here you can read about each book that will be released next year.

 

The first book from the debut group I'm reading is, It Happened on a Saturday by Sydney Dunlap, and I love it!



Author BioTamika Burgess (Ta-mee-Ka Bur-jess) is a storyteller with over a decade of novel, TV/film, and personal essay writing experience. Born to parents who migrated from Panamá, Tamika has always taken a particular interest in writing themes that explore her Black Latina identity. Because of her passion for spreading the knowledge of Black Panamanian culture, Tamika has been featured on various websites, podcasts, and panels. When she is not writing, Tamika is somewhere cozy online shopping and listening to a podcast. Tamika resides in sunny Southern California, where she is writing her second novel. Learn more about Tamika at TamikaBurgess.com

Here Are A Few Links:

1 comment:

  1. That's great advice from Tamika to pay attention to their surroundings and the people they're with. It can help a lot with developing realistic characters. I'm excited to read Tamika's book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )