Monday, June 27, 2022

Yay For Middle Grade Books! Interview With George Jreije!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with George Jreije, the author of Shad Hadid and the Alchemists of Alexandria, which releases in October!

Would you please tell us a little about your book, Shad Hadid and the Alchemists of Alexandria?

My novel follows 12-year-old Shad, who loves nothing more than his grandma and Arabic sweets, but is fiercely independent. When he discovers he comes from a long line of alchemists, receiving an invitation to the mysterious Alexandria Academy, he can’t wait to learn more about the ancient art. Yet uncovering his knack for alchemy also makes him a target for the necromancers, a group working in the shadows to revive a forgotten evil. To beat them, he’ll have to rely on his newfound skills as well as overcome his aversion to working with others. Only then can he save the world of alchemy from chaos.  

What was the inspiration for the book?

My inspiration came from wanting to create a more original alternative to the traditional magic we see in many fantasy books. Alchemy had roots in Arabic-speaking countries, which is where I’m from, so this seemed like a very natural—and fun—direction to go. Shad Hadid himself is a reflection of the boy I had been at his age, which is where his inspiration came from as well as why he’s such a troublemaker! 

Random Question! What’s your favorite word?

A tough question, but probably “Salaam”. It’s an Arabic word that means peace, and can be a greeting. It just makes me happy that I can meet people and wish them peace!

If you're able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?

Currently, I’m working on the second book in my series! The world of Alchemy has been so exciting to live in, and I’m always eager to return to it. My writing tends to be cinematic, and the first book is full of unexpected twists, so I’m working hard to live up to that in the next installment.

What are some of your favorite MG books you've read recently? And what are some that you're looking forward to reading?

Recently, I’ve really enjoyed HANA TSU AND THE GHOST CRAB NATION by Sylvia Liu and NURA AND THE IMMORTAL PALACE by M.T. Khan. I’m looking forward to reading ZACHARY YING AND THE DRAGON EMPEROR by Xiran Jay Zhao as well as SIR CALLE AND THE CHAMPIONS OF HELSTON by Esme Symes-Smith.  

Thank you to George Jreije for participating in this event! :)

Author Bio: George Jreije is the Lebanese-American author of SHAD HADID AND THE ALCHEMISTS OF ALEXANDRIA, a forthcoming children’s fantasy novel with HarperCollins. He has also written short stories published in collaboration with UNICEF. When not writing, George enjoys helping other writers via mentorship or his freelance editing services, trying tasty Arabic pastries, and messing with new yoga poses.

Here are a few links:

His Website

His Twitter

His Instagram

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. I'm super excited to read George's book and love that the magic system focuses on alchemy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )