Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Review: Secret of the Shadow Beasts!



For fans of Dragon Pearl and the Lockwood & Co. series comes a swift-moving contemporary fantasy about a young girl tasked with destroying deadly shadow creatures.

In Brannland, terrifying beasts called Umbrae roam freely once the sun sets, so venomous that a single bite will kill a full-grown adult--and lately, with each day that passes, their population seems to double. The only people who can destroy them are immune children like Nora, who are recruited at the age of seven to leave their families behind and begin training at a retrofitted castle called Noye's Hill. But despite her immunity, Nora's father refused to let her go. Now, years after his death by Umbra attack, Nora is twelveand sees her mother almost killed by the monsters too. That's when Nora decides it's time for her to join the battle. Once she arrives at Noye's Hill, though, she and her new friends are left with more questions than answers: Where are the Umbrae coming from? Could the government be covering up the true reason their population has whirled out of control? And was Nora's father, the peaceful, big-hearted man who refused to let Nora fight, in on the treacherous secret?

-summary and cover via Goodreads

Review: I loved this MG read! The world that Diane Magras created was so interesting, and I thought the monsters were terrifying. All of the characters were absolutely wonderful, from Nora, to her team members, to the other supporting characters, I thought they were all very well written. And while this is a standalone, that does have a satisfying conclusion, I truly think there are many more stories to tell with the characters in this world, and I hope we get more books! Overall, I would definitely recommend this book! And for full disclosure, I am a part of the street team for this book, but even if I wasn't, I know I would feel the exact same about it!

I received an e-ARC from the author and publisher.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this story so much. It sounds like a unique contemporary fantasy that I might enjoy. Natalie @ Literary Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )