Friday, June 17, 2022

Yay For Middle Grade Books! Interview With Fleur Bradley!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Fleur Bradley, the author of Daybreak on Raven Island, which releases in August! She is also the author of multiple other MG books, including the 2020 release, Midnight at the Barclay Hotel.

Would you please tell us a little about your book, Daybreak on Raven Island?


Daybreak on Raven Island is the story of three very different kids: Tori, who loves soccer, Noah, the new kid in town who has a lot of anxiety, and Marvin, who is all into movie making. They get stuck overnight on Raven Island after they miss the last ferry, and end up being chased by prisoner ghosts, a ghost hunting crew, ravens, and a killer when they find a dead body in the abandoned prison. Think Alfred Hitchcock for kids.


What was the inspiration for the book?


The book started with setting really, as most of my stories do. I wanted to write a story that would be a little older than Midnight at the Barclay Hotel, the kind of book kids might read next. I also really wanted to turn up the volume on the ghostly side this time, after seeing how much kids enjoy scary stories.

Alcatraz instantly came to mind. I created Raven Island, modeled after Alcatraz and its prison. A little research into the history of the island brought up the mysterious prison break of 1962, where three prisoners broke out of Alcatraz, never to be seen again. I played with that concept and tried to imagine what could happen on Raven Island. Add a little Hitchcock and Twilight zone vibes, and you have a cool, scary middle-grade.

Part of the story also refers to what it would feel like to have a parent or relative in prison. It’s one of those things that carry shame, and I wanted to shine a little light on that topic—without being heavy-handed.


Random Question! What’s your favorite word?


Mystery! I absolutely love mysteries, so that must be my favorite word. Cake is a close second, since I like to celebrate good news whenever I can.


If you're able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?


I’m working on two different projects: a YA mystery and a new (extra haunted) MG mystery. Both are still in the writing studio, so to speak. I can share that the middle-grade has a whole lot of ghosts in it…


What are some of your favorite MG books you've read recently? And what are some that you're looking forward to reading?


I really enjoyed Ira Marks’ Shark Summer, a Jaws-inspired graphic novel. I’m also a huge fan of Chris Grabenstein’s Mr. Lemoncello series, so I have Mr. Lemoncello’s First Game on my nightstand. I’m part of a group of authors called Spooky MG; they always have great books coming out. I wish I could just read all day sometimes!


Thank you to Fleur Bradley for participating in this event! :)


Author BioFleur Bradley is the author of many short horror and mystery stories and books for kids, including the paranormal mystery Midnight at the Barclay Hotel (Viking Children’s) and the Double Vision trilogy (as F.T. Bradley, Harper Children’s). Midnight at the Barclay Hotel was shortlisted for the Reading the West, Agatha and Anthony Awards, and recently won the SCBWI Crystal Kite Award, the Colorado Book Award, and Florida’s Sunshine State Young Readers Award. Her next MG horror/mystery, Daybreak on Raven Island is due out from Viking in August 2022.

Fleur regularly does author school and virtual visits, as well as librarian and educator conference talks on reaching reluctant readers. Originally from the Netherlands, she now lives in Colorado with her family, and entirely too many rescue animals.

Here are a few links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

Her Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )