Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Yay For Middle Grade Books! Interview With Catherine Arguelles!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Catherine Arguelles, the author of Flip Turns, which releases in September!

Would you please tell us a little about your book, Flip Turns?

Thanks for asking! Flip Turns is a Middle Grade mystery featuring Maddie, a 13yo with anxiety who is struggling with the unwanted attention of a boy at school. When her family's community pool is vandalized, threatening Maddie's swim team, Maddie and her best friend Ez search for the culprit while dealing with friend and family dynamics, competitive swimming, and first crushes. It comes out September 13!

Did you always want to write MG books?

Nope! I started out writing picture books when my kids were little, then I wrote an adult novel. But my best ideas worked as MG, so I went for it!

Random Question! What’s your favorite color?

I love this question! Both of my kids are synesthetes (they randomly associate colors with unrelated concepts like numbers/days of the week, i.e. Monday is blue, 10 is red) so we talk about color a lot! My favorite color is purple. 

If you're able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?

I'm working on another MG mystery about geocaching and a missing girl. I'm having a lot of fun putting my characters through all the twists and turns. 

What are some of your favorite MG books you've read recently? And what are some that you're looking forward to reading?

I got lucky to read an advanced copy of Hazel Hill is Going to Win This One by Megan Horne. Like FLIP TURNS, it has feminist themes and I loved it! I also recently read and loved Jordie and Joey Fell From the Sky by Judi Lauren, and Dad's Girlfriend and Other Anxieties by Kellye Crockett. I'm looking forward to reading Play Like a Girl by Misty Wilson and Learning to Fall by Sally Englefried, both coming out soon!

Thank you to Catherine Arguelles for participating in this event! :)

Author Bio: Catherine has worked as a counselor with middle school students, a fundraiser for non-profits, and is the proud parent of two feminist readers and three feline lap warmers. She lives in Northern California.

Here are a few links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

Her Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )