Friday, June 24, 2022

Yay For Middle Grade Books! Interview With Dee Hahn!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Dee Hahn, the author of The Grave Thief, which is out now!

Would you please tell us a little about your book, The Grave Thief?

The Grave Thief is the story of Spade, a twelve year old grave thief descended from a long line of thieves. Together with his brother Benji, he's sent to rob graves in the kingdom of Wyndhail. When their father gets the idea to rob a grave in the royal cemetery, Spade and Benji strike out to seek their fortune. Then things go terribly wrong: Spade is caught red-handed, and his little brother is taken captive. In order to free his brother, Spade must make an unexpected bargain with the queen--to become the queen's new monster hunter.

What was the inspiration for the book?

My uncle told me a story about the time he'd been a funeral home assistant. One night, he and his friend were asked to move the coffin of a man up the stairs in the cemetery for burial. He and his friend tripped, and the body rolled out! They had to quickly put the body back in and bury the casket, and it got me thinking...what would it be like to work in a cemetery at night?

What if a kid had to work in a graveyard at night? 

Random Question! What’s your favorite holiday?

I love Christmas. (I bet you thought I was going to say Halloween, hahaha!) I start thinking about Christmas in October, though, that's how much I love it. 

Fun fact I've recently learned: On Christmas Eve in Iceland, families gift each other books. Then they drink tea together and read books deep into the night. Best day ever!!!

If you're able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?

I'm currently working on a new middle grade fantasy book about a boy who discovers an unexpected heritage, and a girl who's a bounty hunter--and she happens to be hunting him. 

What are some of your favorite MG books you've read recently? And what are some that you're looking forward to reading?

Oooh, here's a few of my favourite middle grade novels I've read recently: 'The Last Windwitch' by Jennifer Adam, 'Sweep' by Jonathan Auxier, and 'The Land of Roar' by Jenny McLachlan. I'm really looking forward to reading 'Ravenous Things' by Derrick Chow, and 'A Wolf for a Spell' by Karah Sutton. 

Thank you to Dee Hahn for participating in this event! :)

Author Bio: Dee Hahn began writing when her children begged for bedtime stories, and she never stopped.

Travel is a great passion of Dee's, and she's spent much of her life exploring Africa, India, South East Asia, and Canada- and she always carries a book in her backpack to keep her company.

Currently, Dee lives in Alberta, Canada. When she isn't writing, you can find her kayaking, building treehouses, and exploring the woods.

Here are a few links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )