Monday, July 12, 2021

Review: Silence in the Library (A Lily Adler Mystery #2)

 Review: Silence in the Library (Lily Adler Mystery #2) by Katharine Schellman



Regency widow Lily Adler didn't expect to find a corpse when visiting a family friend. Now it's up to her to discover the killer in the charming second installment in the Lily Adler mysteries.

Regency widow Lily Adler has just started to feel settled into her new London home when her semi-estranged father arrives, intending to stay with her while he recovers from an illness. To placate and avoid him, she takes his place in a social visit with Lady Wyatt, a woman Lily doesn't know. But when Lily arrives for her second visit, she finds the household in an uproar: Sir Charles, Lady Wyatt's much older husband and a friend of Lily's father, is dead in his library. All signs indicate that he tripped and struck his head on the mantelpiece. But when Bow Street constable Simon Page is called to the scene, he suspects that Sir Charles was murdered.

Mr. Page was there when Lily caught her first murderer, and he trusts her insight into the world of London's upper class. With the help of Captain Jack Hartley, they piece together the reasons that Sir Charles' wife, sons, and nephew might have wanted him dead. But everyone who might have profited from the old man's death seems to have an

alibi. With no clear suspect, the trio nearly conclude that the death was an accident after all... until Lily receives a mysterious summons to speak with one of the Wyatts' maids, only to find the young woman dead from poison when she arrives.

Mr. Page believes the surviving family members are hiding the key to Sir Charles' death, and it isn't long before Lily realizes that her father may know what it is. To uncover the truth, Lily must convince the father who doesn't trust or respect her to help catch his friend's killer before anyone else in the Wyatt household dies.

-summary and cover via Goodreads

Plot: I really enjoyed this mystery! The plot was well done, and while I guessed part of who the culprit was, I did not guess the whole thing, which is always a pleasant surprise! I won't write  anything else about the plot, for fear of spoiling people.

Characters: I love the characters in these books! Lily is a wonderful protagonist! Mr. Page and Jack are great, too! MINOR SPOILER: There is not much romance in these books, but I feel like the author is leading toward a Lily and Jack romance, which while I love Jack (And hope for a happy ending for him!), I just don't see it? I feel like they are more family than anything, but perhaps that's just me? Personally, I like her and Mr. Page, but I know that's very unlikely. I'm curious if you've read it, what your thoughts are? END SPOILER

The Cover: I like it! It's simple, but fits the book well.

Overall: I really enjoyed reading the first book in this series, but I loved this one! If you're looking for a good Historical Mystery, I highly recommend this series of books!

I received an e-ARC of this book from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )