Saturday, July 24, 2021

Summer Lovin': Interview With Debbie Rigaud!


Hi, everyone! Today I am happy to present an interview with Debbie Rigaud, the author of the multiple YA books, including Truly Madly Royally and Simone Breaks All the Rules which are both out now!

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

Would you please tell us a little about your book, Simone Breaks All the Rules?

Happily. My book follows Simone, a 17-year-old high school senior who, together with fellow late bloomer friends, creates an epic senior year bucket list. Together they hope to break out of their parents’ overprotective cocoons and become the social butterflies they feel they’re meant to be.

Did you always want to write YA books?

I knew I always wanted to write for young readers, but I started my career writing articles as a staffer at Seventeen magazine and Twist. I bonded with young readers early in my magazine journalism career and then segued to writing fiction at the suggestion of my former agent who was in search of YA stories featuring black and brown girls. I haven’t looked back since!

Random Question! Do you listen to music while you write?

This question is not random to me at all, because music is a big part of setting the writing mood for me. Yes, I listen to music while I write. I have my go to playlist and I’m also known to play the same on repeat for hours if need be. Lately I’ve been all about R&B heiress Alex Isley and the otherworldly band Moonchild. Their amazing sonic energy gives me mental space. 

If you’re able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?

This summer, I am very busy revising KINDRED SPIRITS, my next YA out next summer. The story features 15 year-old Cicely and takes place at Brooklyn’s annual Caribbean Carnival, the Labor Day Parade. I used to attend the Labor Day parade every year, and I wanted to share that thrill and adventure with readers. The story flirts with magical realism and challenges how we view spiritual traditions. I hope readers come along for Cicely’s fun ride!

Ooh, this sounds really good!

What are some of your favorite Romance books? And what are some you’re looking forward to reading?

I love Nicola Yoon’s THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR (Sublime!), LOVE FROM A to Z by S. K. Ali (Swoon!), THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT by Jennifer E. Smith (Sigh!), and the self-love story in Renee Watson’s PIECING ME TOGETHER (So special!)

Great picks!

Thank you to Debbie Rigaud for participating in this event! :)

Author Bio: Debbie Rigaud is the author of YA rom-coms SIMONE BREAKS ALL THE RULES and TRULY MADLY ROYALLY. HOPE, her debut MG series with Alyssa Milano, was an instant NYTimes Bestseller. A total Jersey girl at heart, Debbie now lives with her husband and children in Columbus, Ohio. Find out more at debbierigaud.com.

Here Are a Few Links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

Her Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )