Thursday, July 22, 2021

Summer Lovin': Interview With Ann LaBar!


Hi, everyone! Today I am pleased to present an interview with Ann LaBar, the author of the YA Romance, Prom Theory, which is out now!

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

Would you please tell us a little about your book, Prom Theory?

Prom Theory is about is about Iris Oxtabee, a junior in highschool who has Non Verbal Learning Disorder. Some of the symptoms of NVLD are very similar to Autism Spectrum Disorder as she is awkward socially and has a hard time reading facial expressions. The big difference, which is very true of Iris, is that NVLD people have amazing verbal skills and Iris remembers everything she reads. She is very interested in psychology and neurology as a way to figure out people. She has also read a great deal about the science of attraction.

A lot of people have asked me why I chose to write about NVLD and it’s because my oldest child is NVLD and I have a lot of experience with her and helping her navigate high school and college. Plus, I wanted to represent a little known learning disability and show that even though it some makes things difficult, it also has a few super powers. Nuerodiverse people are the ones who often change the world and think the unimagined. 

Okay, back to Prom Theory.

When the topic of Prom comes up with her two best friends, Esther and Seth, she ends up arguing that love is nothing but chemistry and she can prove it. She will get the senior track team captain to ask her to prom. What she doesn’t realize Seth has been in love with her forever and her little experiment make get her a prom date but lose her best friend.

The experiments don’t always go as planned and hilarity ensues.

Did you always want to write YA books?.

Actually no! I began as a poet. In fact, my master’s degree is in creative writing, poetry. But friends of mine started writing romance and I became interested and thought, “I could do that.” Fifteen years later of trying to write a historical adult romance. Sex scenes are harder to write than you might think! Plus they made me blush. More and more I began writing younger and younger and it occurred to me that all my best ideas worked best as a YA. The writing is so much easier now and I love it. I think I’m secretly 13 years old.

Random Question! Do you listen to music while you write?

No! I can’t have any noise. If no one else is home I don’t even turn the radio on. The quieter it is, the easier it is to escape into my imagination.

If you’re able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?

I am working on Iris’ best friend’s book. Her life is basically falling apart the summer before her senior year until she meets this tree of a guy, ripped and tall, and a total pain in the ass and he (unintendedly) gets her in trouble and then fired from her pet store job. And a bunch of other stuff ☺  My working title is Iguana Love You.  I’m also revising a paranormal/fantasy I wrote awhile ago – A Girl’s Guide to Knitting and Saving the World.

I love the working titles!

What are some of your favorite Romance books? And what are some you’re looking forward to reading?

I really enjoy Eloisa James’ historical fiction, and The Bridgerton Series (of course). I really like historical romances when I read adult books. I love the Rosie Project series, the new release Glimpsed (there’s magic!), and To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before. Everything by John Green. 

Great picks!

Thank you to Ann LaBar for participating in this event! :)

Author Bio: Having spent most of her life talking and listening to people who aren’t there, Ann LaBar has tried to legitimize her madness with a B.A. in Theater from Indiana University of PA and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from University of Alaska.

When she isn't traveling with her insanely adventurous husband, hounding her two grown children, or walking her one-eyed French bulldog, she is writing.

Ann LaBar is represented by Lisa Rodgers of JABberwocky Literary Agency. http://awfulagent.com

Here Are a Few Links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )