Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Summer Lovin': Interview With Kate Pembrooke!


Hi, everyone! Today I am happy to present an interview with Kate Pembrooke, the author of the Adult Romance, Not the Kind of Earl You Marry, which is out now!

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

Would you please tell us a little about your book, Not the Kind of Earl You Marry?

This book embraces my all-time favorite romance trope – fake engagement/fake relationship. It also features one of my favorite types of heroines – the bluestocking and/or wallflower. Charlotte is both of those, which is why she’s so leery of entering into a fake betrothal with William who is one of the most eligible bachelors in London. 

This book also emphasizes female friendships. Charlotte becomes involved with a group of forward-thinking, socially conscious ladies who form the nucleus of The Wednesday Afternoon Social Club, which despite its innocuous sounding name, is anything but that! 

It’s a slow burn romance with lots of banter. I hope readers enjoy it!

Not the Kind of Earl You Marry is the first in The Unconventional Ladies of Mayfair series! Would you like to share anything about the next book? 

The next book in the series is Say You’ll Be My Lady and the two main characters are Lady Serena Wynter and Mr. Charles Townshend, who were both secondary characters in Not the Kind of Earl You Marry.

This book is a little different because Charles does not have an aristocratic lineage. He’s from a solidly middle class background, while Serena, the daughter of the Earl of Huntington, comes from a prominent London family. So their different backgrounds do create an obstacle to their HEA, but that’s certainly not the only thing they must overcome before they can be together. Let me just say that each of them harbors a secret from their past that complicates things for them.

Random Question! Your bio mentions you collect cookbooks! What’s one of your favorites?  

I have an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that is literally falling apart! For years it was my go-to cookbook. Lately though with book deadlines, I’m all about quick cooking. For that, I frequently turn to Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook and The Bread Lover’s Bread Machine Cookbook. Both of these are by Beth Hensperger.

I'll have to check out those last two books!

If you’re able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?

Currently, I’m drafting the third book in the series (title TBD) where the main characters are Miss Phoebe Talbot (a recurring character from the first two books) and Mr. Simon Trentwell, who makes a brief appearance at the end of Say You’ll Be My Lady. She’s a bookish beauty who must marry well to rescue her family’s finances and he’s a rake trying to reform his ways. 

It’s too early in the drafting process to say much more because things may change significantly as I get further into the story. That’s just how it goes when you’re writing a first draft, or at least, when I’m writing a first draft. I’m a complete pantser who discovers the story as I write. I love the opening scene though when Simon spies Phoebe climbing out of a ground floor window. Clearly, she’s up to something and he wants to find out what! For some reason, I’ve been dying to write a heroine who climbs out of a window and so that’s how I started the book.

That opening scene sounds like fun!

What are some of your favorite Romance books? And what are some you’re looking forward to reading?  

It’s so hard to narrow it down to just a few favorites! But if I must, a few that I love are…Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase, My Dearest Enemy by Connie Brockway, When the Marquess Met His Match by Laura Lee Guhrke, When He Was Wicked by Tessa Dare. Some I’m looking forward to are…Devil in Disguise by Lisa Kleypas,  It was Only a Kiss by Shannon Gilmore,  A Duke Worth Fighting For by Christina Britton, The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood, The Shaadi Set-Up by Lillie Vale.

Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Jessica!

Excellent picks!

Thank you to Kate Pembrooke for participating in this event! :)

Author Bio: Kate Pembrooke lives in the Midwest with her husband and two adorable pups. When she's not tapping away at her keyboard, she enjoys reading, puttering amongst her flowerbeds, taking beach vacations, and adding to her already extensive collection of cookbooks. She's ecstatically happy that being a writer allows her to indulge her passion for colorful pens and sticky notes.

Here Are a Few Links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

Her Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )