Monday, July 19, 2021

Summer Lovin': Interview With Kelsey Rodkey!

 

Hi, everyone! Today I am pleased to present an interview with Kelsey Rodkey, the author of the YA Romance, Last Chance Books, which is out now!

The bold font are the questions I asked, the regular font are her answers, and the bold italic font are my comments about her answers.

Would you please tell us a little about your book, Last Chance Books?

Last Chance Books is about Madeline Moore, who works at her aunt's bookstore, and how she attempts to save that store from closing during her last summer before college. Making matters worse are Madeline's deadbeat mother coming back into the picture and the other bookstore that recently opened across the street from hers--and the infuriating and cute supervisor, Jasper, who works there. 

Did you always want to write YA books?

I've always wanted to write, but it wasn't until I started reading "seriously" (read: became an avid fan of YA books) that I realized I wanted to write my own YA books. YA offers the most in terms of storytelling, in my opinion. It's where you see the most diverse voices and experiences, the place where you can offer up a similar premise and get totally different results depending on who's telling the story. I think the potential in YA is just so great and vast.

Random Question! What’s your favorite color?

My favorite color is blue! It also happens to be Jasper's favorite color in Last Chance Books.

Blue is my favorite, too! :)

If you’re able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?

I'm currently working on my second book with HarperTeen! I can't get into too many details, but I can say that it's really funny, with a slow-burn romance and friendship issues! In it you'll find: the 'there's only one bed' trope, banter, creative ways to getting around saying the truth, a band called 'Nope.', and more! It's my favorite thing I've ever written and it means so much to me. AND it takes place in the same universe as Last Chance Books, though, it may not be obvious. 

It sounds really good!

What are some of your favorite Romance books? And what are some you’re looking forward to reading?

Oh, wow, I could go on forever with this question. My favorites are: Today Tonight Tomorrow by Rachel Lynn Solomon, Have a Little Faith in Me by Sonia Hartl, Love Lessons by Annette Christie, I Think I Love You by Auriane Desombre, Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli, You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle, and Once Upon a Quinceanera by Monica Gomez-Hira. Some of these have already been released, but they're still sitting pretty on my bookshelf, so...I'm looking forward to reading: Happily Ever Afters by Elise Bryant, Some Girls Do by Jennifer Dugan, Seoulmates by Susan Lee, Cool for the Summer by Dahlia Adler, Not Here to be Liked by Michelle Quach, and People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry. 

I loved You Deserve Each Other, and a bunch of these are on my TBR list!

Thank you to Kelsey Rodkey for participating in this event! :)



Author Bio: Kelsey Rodkey is a burrito lover, banter enthusiast, and young adult author, who strives to create the stories she lacked as a teenager. She lives near the capital of Pennsylvania, which a lot of people think is Philadelphia, with her significant other and their cats. Last Chance Books is her first novel.

Here Are a Few Links:

Her Website

Her Twitter

Her Instagram

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )