Monday, July 11, 2022

Summer Lovin’ 2022! Interview With Virginia Heath!



Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Virginia Heath, the author of Never Rescue a Rogue, which releases in November! She is also the author of multiple other romance novels, including Never Fall for Your Fiancée, which is out now.

Would you please tell us a little about your book, Never Rescue a Rogue?


It is the second book in my Merriwell Sisters trilogy and the sequel to Never Fall for Your Fiancée, but like all my books, can be read as a standalone because I hate to read books which leave me dangling without a proper ending! It’s what I like to describe as a Regency Romantic Comedy, so hopefully people will find it as entertaining and funny as they did Never Fall for Your Fiancée. This is cynical middle sister Diana Merriwell’s story and right from the first moment I wrote her she leapt off the page and I loved her. . In the first book, she is a poorly paid copyeditor for a London newspaper who is desperate to be a reporter. Now, in book two, she’s achieved that ambition, but not quite how everyone believes. In the first book, there was a wonderful frisson between her and the hero’s naughty best friend Giles, so I couldn’t wait to explore that further in this story. Giles is the seemingly unenthusiastic heir to a dukedom, but that rakish flippancy hides a complicated man with a deep, dark secret. When that secret looks likely to be exposed and his entire life ruined, Diana offers her investigative services and the pair go on a quest to finally uncover the truth about all the rattling skeletons in Giles’ closet. Thrust together, the annoying frisson between them cannot be denied—but they try, often with amusing consequences ( an hopefully hilarious but I’m a Brit who lives in London and we physically cringe at blowing our own trumpets!).


Did you always want to write romance novels?


I’ve always been an avid reader who desperately wanted to be a writer and devoured all sorts of books, but romance stories were always my favourites. I used to be a history teacher, so avoided all historicals like the plague in favour of more contemporary stories as I foolishly believed they would be more escapist for someone who lived and breathed history in her day job. How wrong I was! I picked up my first historical romance by accident in 2010 as I had read all the other books in the small bookshop that I used to go to. I was Julia Quinn’s ‘The Duke and I’ and it literally changed my life. I binge read the entire Bridgerton series, then went on the hunt for more Regencies and before I knew it that was my go-to genre. When I came to write my own stories, there was no question that I would also write Regencies. I absolutely adore it.

 


Random Question! What’s your favorite type of tea?


Well, that’s a contentious question to ask as British person as we take our tea very serious over here. So seriously, that when I travel I always bring my own tea with me as the local stuff is never as good as what we get here in Blighty. I’m a Twinnings girl and love their English Breakfast blend, Assam and Ceylon blends too. If I’m in the USA and (horror of horrors have run out of my own stash) I drink Twinnings Irish blend as that is the closest I can find to what we drink here. I cannot stand Earl Gray. It tastes too much like flowers.


If you’re able to talk about it, what are you currently working on?


I have literally just finished writing the final instalment of my Merriwell Sisters trilogy- Never Wager With a Wallflower- so I shed a few tears as I wrote the epilogue to wrap the entire series up. That is youngest sister Venus Merriwell’s story. But I’ve got a new series in the works with a working title of Miss Prentice’s Protégés which is still top secret so I can’t say much- and I also still writing my Very Village Scandal series. That’s a Regency romcom series that is purposefully written well away from Mayfair and high society and involves normal people from the time, like me and you. The first book of that is out- The Earl’s Inconvenient Houseguest- and the second, His Maddening Matchmaker, comes our very soon.


What are some of your favorite Romance books? And what are some you’re looking forward to reading?


Obviously, I adore the Bridgertons but I also love Tessa Dare’s Spindle Cove series, Sabrina Jeffries School for Heiresses series and Julie Anne Long’s Pennyroyal Green series. My favourite romance book is Montana Sky by the goddess of romance Nora Roberts as that gives you three romances for the price of one and a serial killer on the loose. I love anything by Evie Dunmore, Harper St George, Laurie Benson, Janna Macgregor, Anna Campbell and Jenni Fletcher. If I’m in the mood for a Viking or Medieval historical romance then my go-tos are Nicole Locke and Lucy Morris. And what am I looking forward to reading? The enormous To Be Read pile queued up ready on my Kindle. At the last count, that was up to 102 and I’m trying to read them all in the order I bought them- but the list just keeps getting bigger!


Thank you to Virginia Heath for participating in this event! :)


Here are a few links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )