Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Interview With Alexis Castellanos!



Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Alexis Castellanos, author of the MG graphic Novel, Isla to Island, which releases in March!

Would you please describe your book, Isla to Island, in seven words?

Magical, wistful, nostalgic, sad (sorry), emotional, heartwarming, and meaningful.

Isla to Island is a wordless GN, what made you decide to tell the story that way? (I absolutely love your artwork!)

Thank you! Honestly, as soon as the story came to me I knew it would be wordless. I don’t think it even crossed my mind to tell Marisol’s story with words. I thought if I was doing a graphic novel, I wanted to find a way to use that format to play with storytelling to add another dimension to the story. A big part of Marisol’s story is that she experiences barriers at various points in her life. In Cuba as a child, her parents are doing their best to shield her from what is happening. In New York, she doesn’t speak the language and can’t communicate. Without words to tell her story, the reader is sharing in that experience of lacking communication. I hoped that as a result in sharing that experience with Marisol, the reader would develop deeper empathy for her. 

Random Question! What is your favorite dessert?

That’s so hard to answer, I love dessert! First answer off the top of my head is arroz con leche, but I truly love any custard (especially the custard pies at Four and Twenty Blackbird!) My abuela used to make me natilla and arroz con leche and merenguitos and flan and pudin de pan so many other delicious desserts and I love them all dearly.

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

I struggled for a while to finish a draft before I wrote ISLA. I’m not sure what finally clicked for me, but I think part of it was finally getting a group of critique partners. Being able to learn and grow with people who are going through the same things as you can be so beneficial. Working side by side with my friends, I finally found that last bit of encouragement I needed to finish a draft. The same thing happened when I joined an art group. We have a Discord together where we have fun, blow off steam, complain, encourage, and help each other out. Just having that community around you can be so valuable. 

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2022? And if you’ve already read some ‘22 books, would you like to mention them?

I loved THE HACIENDA by Isabel Ibañez, THE IVORY KEY by Akshaya Raman, and BOOK LOVERS by Emily Henry. The books I’m excited to read are the sequel to All of Us Villains (that ending!!!), THE GIRL WHO FELL BENEATH THE SEA by Axie Oh, FRIZZY by Claribel Ortega, ONCE UPON A K-PROM by Kat Cho, and THE DROWNING SUMMER by Christine Lynn Herman!


Author Bio: Alexis Castellanos was born and raised in Florida where she enjoyed sunny days, dramatic thunderstorms, and delicious Cuban food. After graduating from college, she moved to New York City and worked as a scenic artist, bringing theatrical sets to life with a little bit of paint and a whole lot of ingenuity. She currently works as a graphic designer by day and spends her nights dreaming up stories. She lives in Los Anegeles with her partner and her extremely photogenic cat, Belle. Isla to Island is her first graphic novel. 

Here Are A Few Links:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )