Saturday, January 15, 2022

Interview With Nicole D. Collier!



Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Nicole D. Collier, author of Just Right Jillian, which releases in February!

Would you please describe your book, Just Right Jillian, in seven words?

shy kiddos, unexpected allies, self-expression, baby chicks

What was the inspiration for the book?

Honestly my life was my main inspiration. I remember being that shy child, unable to speak up, even when I really wanted to. When you’re shy, you feel trapped, and you can never really be your authentic self. This is my love letter to shy children, to let them know they’re not alone. 

Random Question! Do you listen to music while you write?

It depends! When I’m trying to settle my mind, I do, and sometimes when I’m writing certain kinds of scenes, music will help. But when I am really thinking deeply or in a flow, I prefer silence. Overall I start with music and as I settle in, I turn it down, and once I’m really going, I turn it off.

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

Be willing to try different things to find out what works for you. You can play with how much or how often you write, which categories you like, which genres feel best, what time of day, everything. One size does not fit all, so don’t be afraid to experiment to find your bliss!

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2022?  And if you’ve already read some ‘22 books, would you like to mention them?

I read a lot of ’21 books this year, so I’m behind on the ‘22s. That said I have already finished The Unforgettable Logan Foster by Shawn Peters, which was super fun. 

Up next  I can’t wait to read other fellow middle grade debuts including: 

  • A Comb of Wishes by Lisa Stringfellow
  • Futureland by H.D. Hunter  
  • Hana Hsu and the Ghost Crab Nation by Sylvia Liu
  • Sir Fig Newton and the Science of Persistence by Sonja Thomas
Not a debut, but another one I’m looking forward to is Those Kids from Fawn Creek by Erin Entrada Kelly.



Author Bio: Nicole D. Collier Ph.D., was born and raised just south of Atlanta, Georgia. After a short stint in journalism, she has spent the past two decades in education. First as an elementary school teacher, and now as a partner in an executive training, coaching and consulting firm.

Nicole writes for all ages, but her first love is middle grade contemporary fiction. Young people are trying to discern who they are vs. who they want to be, and how to bridge the gap between the two. Nicole’s stories are in that gap. In particular, she writes about the interior lives of Black girls as they seek their authentic selves.

A self-proclaimed ever-victorious woman, Nicole has been known to run, dance, and turn cartwheels on sunny days.

Just Right Jillian is her debut novel.

Here Are A Few Links:








1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )