Thursday, January 27, 2022

Interview With Misty Wilson!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Misty Wilson, author of Play Like a Girl (illustrated by David Wilson), which releases in September!

Would you please describe your book, Play Like a Girl, in seven words?

A story about football, friendship, and crushes.

What was the inspiration for the book?

I’d been teaching (fourth and third grade), and I noticed kids LOVED Raina Telgemeier’s graphic novels. I picked up Smile and read it (I was already a fan of comics but I had never read a middle grade graphic novel at that point), and it was so much fun. About a year later, my students in third grade (Yes! Third grade!) were dealing with popularity contests and friend drama and feeling like they didn’t fit in with other kids. And it reminded me of my own seventh grade experience—even though mine was more about navigating trying to fit in and prove myself at football while simultaneously changing myself in an attempt to fit in with popular girls. I went home from school one night and floated this wild idea of writing a middle grade graphic novel past my husband (who was not only an illustrator, but also was already working on his own comics), and he was immediately in. I wanted kids to see that their experiences are somewhat universal (everyone wants to be liked!) and their feelings are valid, but being themselves and following their passions is the key to real friendships and truly being happy.

Random Question! What’s your favorite movie?

Oh gosh. This is an impossible question. I am a lover of rom-coms (Pretty Woman and My Best Friend’s Wedding are my faves) but I also love movies that are a wild ride (i.e. Annihilation and Mad Max: Fury Road). But for the record, TV series are more my thing (Julie and The Phantoms!)—I love getting to spend a longer time with characters and watching them (and their relationships) develop.

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

READ! Especially within the genre/age category you want to write (but also outside of it). Study other authors’ craft to help develop your own. Write fanfiction to practice (this is definitely not a Must Do, of course, but not only is it fun, but it’s helped me A LOT!) Sorry. You said one piece of advice. Whoops!

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2022? And if you’ve already read some ‘22 books, would you like to mention them?

My ’22 TBR list is out of control right now. SOME of them include: 

Grow up, Tahlia Wilkins! By Karina Evans
A Little Bit Country by Brian D. Kennedy
All That’s Left in the World by Erik J. Brown
This Vicious Grace by Emily Thiede
Molly and The Machine by Erik Jon Slangerup
Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon
The Real Riley Mayes by Rachel Elliott

And honestly, this list could go on FOREVER. 

And I’ve already read:
Mr. Wrong Number by the incredibly funny Lynn Painter
Messy Roots by Laura Gao

Both were amazing!



Author Bio: Retired seventh-grade football star Misty Wilson teaches by day and writes by night. She is a voracious reader, and she loves binge-watching television shows. She lives in Ohio with her
husband and two daughters. Play Like a Girl is her middle-grade debut. Learn more

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )