Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Interview With Kaitlyn Hill!



Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Kaitlyn Hill, author of Love from Scratch, which releases in April!

Would you please describe your book, Love from Scratch, in seven words?

Rival intern chefs discover they like kissing 👀

Did you always want to be an author?

Short answer: no I didn’t! I think for a long time, I didn’t realize that being an author was something that anyone could put their mind to and do. But from when I was very little, I was always making up stories, whether with Barbies, Beanie Babies, Polly Pockets, or acting things out with my friends. There was always a lot of melodrama involved, and a romance plot line was inevitable. None of it was written down, but my mind was constantly wrapped up in fiction, and it now feels kind of obvious that I was always going to be a storyteller.

Random Question! Do you listen to music while you write?

Usually I don’t when I’m really trying to focus! I get distracted even by instrumental music, but in rare instances I’ll listen to something in a get-pumped/motivated/inspired way when sitting down to draft to get myself in the right headspace. In those cases, it’ll be music that in some way relates to the story I’m telling. For LOVE FROM SCRATCH, my hype playlist was mostly Kacey Musgraves, The Chicks, and Taylor Swift.

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

Read, read, read. You probably hear it all the time, but that’s because it’s one of the best things you can do for yourself and your writing! Read widely in the genre/age range you’re writing in and pay attention to what’s working and what’s getting published in that space right now. Study the ways that stories work, find the tropes and devices you love, pay attention to things like character development. It’ll improve your own craft probably without you even realizing it and make you more aware of what you’re trying to break into! I credit the vast majority of my writing education to reading a ton of YA and adult romances and still feel like they’re teaching me new things all the time.

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2022? And if you’ve already read some ‘22 books, would you like to mention them?

Oh gosh, SO MANY. Just to name a (large) handful:

- SEOULMATES by Susan Lee

- I GUESS I LIVE HERE NOW by Claire Ahn

- MONSTERS BORN AND MADE by Tanvi Berwah

- THIS MAY END BADLY by Samantha Markum

- A LITTLE BIT COUNTRY by Brian D. Kennedy

- HOW TO FAKE IT IN HOLLYWOOD by Ava Wilder

- LOVE AND OTHER DISASTERS by Anita Kelly

- BEING MARY BENNET by JC Peterson

- THE LOVE MATCH by Priyanka Taslim

- THE MAKE-UP TEST by Jenny Howe

I could go on for another hundred, probably, but ten seems like a good cut-off 😅



Author Bio: Kaitlyn Hill is a writer, reader, and sweet tea enthusiast who believes that all the world is not, in fact, a stage, but a romance novel waiting to happen. Her debut novel Love from Scratch comes out 4/5/22 from Delacorte Press/Penguin Random House. She lives with her real-life romance hero in Lexington, Kentucky. Find her on Twitter and Instagram @thekaitlynhill and at thekaitlynhill.com.

Here Are A Few Links:



2 comments:

  1. This book is my WOW for this week! I love the premise and cover and have added it to my Goodreads TBR as well as my Amazon wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )