Monday, January 17, 2022

Interview With Esme Symes-Smith!


Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Esme Symes-Smith, the author of Sir Callie and the Champions of Helston, which releases in November!

Would you please describe your book, Sir Callie and the Champions of Helston, in seven words?

Queer Kids Taking Power With Magic & Swords

Did you always want to write MG books?

Yes, but not knowingly. I knew I wanted to write books about messy kids finding their strength within terrible power imbalances, but I had no idea that was middle grade. For the longest time, I resisted calling me work ‘kids’ books’ because I mistakenly thought ‘young’ meant ‘simple’. It was a long road of draft and redrafting, and critique I wasn’t willing to take until I finally came to understood that what I was writing was MG through and through. And I’m never looking back!

Random Question! What’s your favorite word?

SERENDIPITOUS
 
What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

Do it for the love of writing. The only control you have is in the words you produce, so create something you love first and foremost. That way, even if everything goes wrong, at least you’ll come out the other side with something you are truly proud of. And the only way to fail it to quit.

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2022? And if you’ve already read some ‘22 books, would you like to mention them?

Oh my goodness YES! I’m currently reading A.J White’s Hell Followed With Us (June 7, Peachtree Teen) which is genuinely the most powerful book I’ve ever had the honor of picking up. This book is going to save lives. I’ve also read Maria Tureaud’s The Last Hope In Hopetown (Fall, Little Brown Young Readers) an MG that is reviving vampires for a new audience. I wish it was coming out sooner!


Photo by Corey Boyles

Author Bio: After cutting their teeth on a steady diet of fanfiction in the South-West of England, Esme Symes-Smith wandered north to Wales for their degree in Literature and Creative Writing then promptly migrated to Missouri after meeting their wife on Tumblr.

Esme has been a ghostwriter, an editor, a frozen-yogurt seller, a caffeine dealer, and now wrangles preschoolers for a living.

They have a severe tea problem.

Here Are A Few Links:



1 comment:

  1. This one's already on my TBR - I am stoked to read a queer MG with swords & sorcery! 'Did you always want to MG?' is a great question, and the answer makes me even more interested in the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )