Monday, January 10, 2022

Interview With Sonja Thomas!



Hi, everyone! Today I'm happy to present an interview with Sonja Thomas, author of the Middle Grade novel, Sir Fig Newton and the Science of Persistence, which releases in March!

Would you please describe your book, Sir Fig Newton and the Science of Persistence, in seven words?

Science-loving girl determined to save her cat!

Did you always want to be a writer?

I’ve wanted to be a writer like my heroes Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary for as long as I can remember, but I also wanted to be a back-up singer (like Wendy and Lisa of the Revolution for Prince) and a cartoonist for The Simpsons! Somehow, I ended up in accounting LOL, but rediscovered my love of writing in 2004.

Random Question! Do you listen to music while you write?

As much as I love music, I can’t listen to it while I write. It’s too distracting and I find myself wanting to dance and sing along instead. But I often listen to music before a writing session to get into a certain mood or when I find myself stuck, I take a break and play some hip-shaking, shoulder-rocking tunes to help get me out of my head and get my thoughts flowing again.

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

Keep writing! We face many obstacles in this industry, from lots of rejection to self-doubt. So often we get caught up comparing ourselves to other writers. While building a writing community is great, remember that every path to publication is different. The more you write, the more your craft will improve. The stronger your writing and the more you query, the greater your chances of getting published. So never give up and keep writing!

What are some books you’re looking forward to reading in 2022? And if you’ve already read some ‘22 books, would you like to mention them?

Ohmygosh, there are SO many amazing books coming out in 2022! A few that I’m really looking forward to reading are Lia Park and the Missing Jewel by Jenna Yoon, JR Silver Writes Her World by Melissa Dassori, Freddie vs. The Family Curse by Tracy Badua, Molly and the Machine by Erik Jon Slangerup, and Cameron Battle and the Hidden Kingdoms by Jamar J. Perry.

I’ve been lucky enough to have already read Pirate Queens by Leigh Lewis, The Way I Say It by Nancy Tandon, Grow Up, Tahila Wilkins! by Karina Evans, and The Unforgettable Logan Foster by Shawn Peters, all of which are AMAZING and should be added to your TBR pile immediately!!!


Author Bio: Sonja Thomas (she/her) writes stories for readers of all ages, often featuring brave, everyday girls doing extraordinary things. She's a contributing author for Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Real-Life Tales of Black Girl Magic. Raised in Central Florida—home of the wonderful world of Disney, humidity, and hurricanes—and a Washington, DC transplant for eleven years (Go Nats!), she’s now “keeping it weird” in the Pacific Northwest. Sir Fig Newton and the Science of Persistence is her debut novel.

Here Are A Few Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It makes me smile! : )